Monday, February 6, 2012

The new plan

Dear friends,

Two weeks ago I told you our sad news that the scans had found six new spots on my bones. A lot has happened in the last two weeks. I would really like to tell you all the details that have happened over the past two weeks, but tonight I want to give a 2 week update. The reason I haven't posted in the last two weeks is that I have been really busy and haven't felt that well. (Even tonight, Mary is serving as my secretary to help me post this entry.)

After we found out the news, that following week we had to make some decisions about what cancer center we would go to for a new plan. Thursday, January 26th, Tom and I decided to go to Vanderbilt Cancer Center in Nashville. So my oncologist in Little Rock contacted them and made an appointment for the following week with a medical oncologist at Vanderbilt who specializes in breast cancer. (The cancer on my bone is breast cancer cells that have moved to the bone.)

That weekend our children all came home, and we had a good family together time and were able to process the new news together. My health and strength declined a lot that weekend, because I was very nauseous. That Monday the doctors decided to change some of my medicines. I got off of pain patches and got on oral pain medicines. I was also given new anti-nausea medicine which began helping me a lot. I also became less mobile, unable to put much weight on my lower back. I got to the point where I could not walk. (Lord willing, that should be reversed when the pain in my lower back is stopped.)

This past Wednesday Tom and I drove to Tennessee for our doctor's appointment at Vanderbilt. We met with the doctor early Thursday morning. We were thoroughly impressed. We felt like God had led us to just the right person for this new game plan. He said I needed to start radiation immediately on my lower spine to relieve the pain. He also put me on an anti-estrogen pill called Femara. He said he wanted our main goals for the next few weeks to be for the pain to be relieved in my back, to be able to ease off on the pain medications, and for restoration in the strengthening of my general health. After 4-6 weeks I will go back to Vanderbilt to see him, and we will discuss the next step, which is systemically attacking the cancer cells in the rest of my body. Chemotherapy is a possibility, but there are other options that he is considering as well.

When we were leaving, the Vanderbilt oncologist's nurse told us more about him and how he has played a significant role in the fight against breast cancer. We were so thankful to God that He had matched us up with such an incredible doctor. I have great doctors! My Little Rock oncologist, my Searcy radiologist, our local family doctor and now the Vanderbilt doctor are all a team. We think they all are exceptional physicians!

We left Nashville about one hour after our appointment and went straight home that afternoon because we had another radiology appt Friday morning at 9.

The next morning, we went to see our doctor at CARTI in Searcy. (She was the same doctor that treated me five years ago when I had my radiation treatments for breast cancer.) She decided to start me on steroids and Zantac to take down inflammation and to begin my radiation immediately on Friday afternoon. I had my first radiation treatment Friday at 1:00. My doctor went "beyond the call of duty" and opened up the clinic on Saturday...just for me to receive a second treatment that morning. Incredible.

Today, I went for my third radiation treatment. She discussed with us a procedure where they put a needle in my vertebrae and insert a cement-like substance on the inside of the vertebrae to strengthen the bone. I will probably find out tomorrow if I am a candidate. If so, then they will do it this week.

My pain level and nausea have stabilized with the medicines. I still am not walking. But I can tell my strength is a little bit renewed, because I am eating better.

I will write a whole new post to tell you about all the ways that God has sent his sustaining love to me, day by day. I am being loved, supported, fed, encouraged, and blessed beyond belief. God is here, walking with us, hour by hour. Our family is covered up with His goodness and love.

Thank you SO much... SO much... for all of your prayers and your concern and your love. Our whole family literally can feel and witness with our eyes and our hearts the answers to your prayers.

Lord willing, I will try to keep this updated more often, but if you don't hear from me, please continue praying fervently for victory in this battle against cancer.

I love you all,
Lisa

10 comments:

Melissa Brown said...

Praying Lisa. You are such a bright and beautiful soul and magnify God's grace and love in such a mighty way. Keep up the good fight. Love - Melissa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful update. Glad the nausea is subsiding enough for you to begin eating better. So glad that the doctor was THE perfect doctor for you!! How encouraging! How uplifting to see God's love for us so clearly!!

Praying for you every single day, several times a day, sweet friend.

Julie E

Anonymous said...

we love you, Lisa. -Marty Highfield

Stacey Yates and family said...

Thank you, dear sister, for the special way you have witnessed about God's amazing love!! We feel such peace in knowing that He is in total control of your life!! We are in fervent prayer for victory!!
Stacey Yates and family

shirley said...

Dear sweet Lisa, Hugs. I love you, I'm glad your nausea is doing better. My heart cry's out for you, as Christ cried for his father. Keeping you & your family in prayer. Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: James 5:14
For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds,saith the Lord... Jeremiah 30:17 Love & God Bless, Baird

Glo said...

Thank you for sharing the details, Lisa. I'm so grateful that you are being tended to by God's loving "hands" and I'm also grateful for your courage. The prayers are continuing from Westminster!I love you.

James said...

Thanks for the update, Lisa. I will pray for less pain and more mobility.

Cheri said...

Hi Lisa,
We met when Betsy was an intern at First Colony and she lived with us. I am sorry to learn of this new battle you are in. We are praying for you.
Sincerely,
Cheri and Doug Pyer

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. Love Rachel(Case) Williamson

Anonymous said...

Love you, and still praying for you.
Love, Ann Ulrey