Monday, October 1, 2007

October - National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October.

When I used to hear the word October I would picture beautiful colored leaves, cooler temperatures, and think about heading to the store to buy some bright mums. Those things still come to mind, but along with the golds, yellows, deep reds and oranges I will now add the color pink.

Pink. Specifically, pink ribbons.

They used to symbolize little girls with pigtails and ribbons in their hair. Or anything sweet and little girlish. Now...pink is everywhere in my coming and going. There are hats and socks and T-shirts and jewelry. I saw a curling iron that was "pink ribboned". I recently bought kitchen scissors that were pink, and the purchase helped the cause. Even cans of vegetables.

Of course, life has changed in one year. Dramatically. I was actually diagnosed on October 18th, but I think the whole month will be focused on celebrating this milestone. Yes, celebrating. I am celebrating! So thankful to have survived this past year. So thankful to God for holding my hand day after day after day. So thankful to my precious husband for all of his love and support. Plus, my sweet family...our children, our parents, all our many relatives. Many friends all over the world! I am so thankful.

I'll talk more about the past year in another post. I'll just tell you now how I'll be celebrating. On October 13th our family will be going to the Faith Support Ministry's 5K Race. This is a very amazing ministry that encourages all cancer patients by 1) sending them a blanket with their name and a Scripture on it and some other gifts and 2) sending notes of encouragement. Someone from Mary's school gave them my name last fall and out of the blue I received this box with a beautiful blanket. I couldn't believe that people that I didn't know at all had committed to pray for my healing. I received letters all year from many of their church members...but especially one person. Her name is Marilyn. She has faithfully written me again and again and reminded me that the Lord is near and she was still praying. SO...on Oct. 13th I will get to meet all these people at the race. Also, they are having a survivor's luncheon and I'm going to be playing and singing 3 songs for that occasion. You can see/read about all this at www.fsm5K.org. Click on the survivor's luncheon and you'll see my picture. I'm excited and grateful to be a part of this event.

I will also go to my very first Race for the Cure event in Little Rock, AR. Our whole family will be going this year. My sister Diane is also coming over to be with us for that weekend. It is supposed to be an amazing event...about 40,000 women plus their families. That is on Oct. 20th.

I'll tell you more...but I need to go to bed. Today is October 1st and I'm grateful to the Lord for celebrating this day. This was a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I'm so thrilled to hear about your various upcoming celebrations! Thanks for sharing some of your plans for October and please know you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Getting to meet Marilyn will be a highlight, no doubt! You sound uplifted and encouraged and excited about this month's events. I am excited with you. Sending love your way.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Lisa ... simply amazing. Wish I could be there to celebrate with you. I will be thinking about you when I see the pink all around me. Love you SOOOOO much!