Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day

Yesterday Tom and I went to my oncologist. She told us that the MRI showed that I have metastatic bone cancer in my shoulder. It is actually in two places...my humerus bone and my scapula (the upper arm bone and the shoulder blade).

Yesterday was pretty much a roller coaster of emotions and shock. I really went in with full hope that it was NOT cancer. SO...I had not prepared my ears or heart enough I guess to hear her say that it was.

She told us that of all the places for the cancer to move to in my body this would be her first choice because bone cancer is very treatable. I didn't know that. There are a lot of good meds that work successfully in treating this cancer.

My next step is to go back on Monday for a CT scan of my shoulders and brain. The MRI showed the length of the lesion (an eating away of the bone) that was 6 cm long, but they don't know the depth of the lesion. The CT scan will show that. The brain scan is just because that is the only area they haven't scanned in the past couple of weeks...she said she doesn't expect a problem there.

She will be taking me off of Tamoxifen and I will begin a bone strengthening med plus some other endocrine med. I will be meeting with an orthopedic surgeon so he can assess the stability of my arm. In the meantime she told me not to lift anything weighty, as we don't want a break on top of everything else.

She also told us that I am now stage 4. When you have recurrence you automatically move to that stage. She also said that nowadays there are lots of people who continue to live for years in stage 4 cancer. They are managing cancer with treatments, like addressing a chronic disease. She felt hopeful that I would be a candidate for treating this successfully. We can treat it, just not cure it.

Last night after Betsy got off work we sat down in the living room with all four children and told them everything. We talked, cried, read Scriptures and prayed together. I am SO blessed to have such an incredible family. My sweet husband is, once again, amazing and strong, although he did have a hard day yesterday. When you are in prayer for all of this please remember Tommy and the children too.

Once again I am asking the Lord for a radical healing of my shoulder. He said we could ask Him anything...so let's all ask. If the miracle healing doesn't come, then I will, again, trust Him with any road he will takes me down. He is an awesome, faithful and loving God. The Scripture that says God's ways are not my ways, His thoughts are not my thoughts has been on my heart since yesterday. I do not see the "why" in this, but I trust God to see much further than my eyes can see...so I will trust in Him.

It is Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful...for my sweet husband and 4 children, for my other family members, for so, so many friends, for good doctors and caretakers, for living in a nation with great medical knowledge and care, for our home and food and the simple basics of life, for this day...today...which is the only day I'm promised, and most of all, for my wonderful God. He is Savior, Friend, Comforter, Truth and Life itself.

Today I choose to wear a "garment of praise and not a spirit of heaviness".

Today I am thankful.

Thank You, O God, thank You for all that You are and all that You have given to me!
In Jesus' Name. Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Since today is Thanksgiving, I am simply going to say that I hope you and your family have a wonderful day together, full of love...and I also feel so thankful for having you in my life...as my friend, for so many years. Sending my love.

amhmom said...

Lisa,
Thank you for keeping us up with your latest news. I feel another race coming up! As my friend says, God is going to get some glory out of this!!!
I love your songs and feel God works thru you in this! I look forward to hearing them!
I am thankful for you on this Thanksgiving Day!

Love you,
Sheila

Lara said...

I love you. God loves you. I am so thankful for you. If the prayers of sweet little 8 year old girls count for as much as I think they do, you just had a good prayer for healing sent towards our Father.

You CAN do this again, with His strength. Call me for anything or if you just need a safe place to vent. God understands any and every emotion we have. Lean on him because he is faithful and trust in his promises.

Love you.

Lindsay Rich said...

We are praying for you and your family!

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad to hear you're singing! I want to order some CD's, so tell me how to do that.

GAC College Counseling said...

Lisa
Ken, JoJo and I will be praying for you at 9:30 our time. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I have loved you for many years and so grateful to share not just friendship, but sisterhood in Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I was visiting at Downtown this morning when your letter was read. I always lurk here and follow your progress. I was heartbroken to hear the news today and tried to find you.

I prayed this morning and will continue to have you in my prayers!

Terri Lavender