Friday, October 1, 2010

The Month of Pink

It's been awhile since I've written anything on here...but as a way of giving some honor to the month of October, which is breast cancer awareness month, I decided to step back into sharing my heart on this blog all through the month. So...here I go.

October is the month when everywhere we turn we see pink ribbons. They are really, really everywhere. I recently saw a pink ribbon on large bags of horse feed at a farm supply store. :-) Yes...they are everywhere. Breast cancer is the disease that seems to get the most attention and public support. Why is that? Quite honestly, I'm not really sure.

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I have mixed feelings about The Month of Pink. I am grateful for all the support and fund raising that goes on for the cause of stopping breast cancer. But...I have to say, I wonder about my fellow survivors who have fought leukemia, lung cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, bone cancer, brain cancer, uterine and on and on and on. SO many other cancers are out there that don't get a special month where the world stops and encourages them.

Yes...I sound a little grumbly. Sorry.

I am in a club. We call it "the club no one ever wanted to join". We are Cancer Survivors. I felt like I needed to say something about remembering all the other non-pink survivors and their battle. They don't get the attention, but their fight is just as hard and just as real.

So...during this Month of Pink...I thank you deeply for your support to fight breast cancer, but I ask you to be mindful of so many others that are fighting or have fought this battle. Please, remember ALL of them in your hearts and in your prayers.

Thanks.

1 comment:

James said...

It is good to see you posting on your blog again. You always have good things to say.