Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tribute to my Friend

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who have died, so that you may not grieve as others who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
1 Thessalonians 4:13,14,18




Well...another dear friend and sister in the Lord died yesterday. She was 80 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer about 18 years ago. The cancer came back about one year ago, first in her lung, then other various places in her body. She was such a strong warrior...living life to the fullest until she had to slow down physically. The last couple of months were difficult, but she was amazing and brave. What an incredible woman of God. She's home...with Him.

I loved her. (You know, I just realized that after someone dies it is very hard to change your words to the past tense. We want to keep speaking in present tense, but they are not here anymore. One of the adjustments to losing our loved ones.) She was so full of energy and enthusiasm for the Lord. She worked at various ministries around town and was a loving wife and helper to her husband in his ministry. She found joy in serving the Lord will all her heart. I will miss her so much. I really don't like saying goodbye this way.

Some of you may be thinking..."she was 80 years old, she's had a good, full life". True. Eighty is certainly a great number to reach. BUT...my heart is sad that she had to leave in such a difficult way. This is something that I wrestle with theologically...you know, the "Why?" question. Why, Lord? Why this loved one or that friend? Why the suffering? Why tragic deaths and sickness?

These are very old questions. And there are many, many answers. Lots of people have written books with their conclusions and their answers. I, too, have an answer that I hang on to when the questions start to pile up.

Here it is... I don't know. I don't know why. I really don't know all the answers to this sickness and suffering question. There are so many things I don't understand and yet... I have come to the conclusion that I do not have to have all the answers. I just don't. I can look to God and say "I don't get it, but I trust You and I love You. I give these unanswered questions to You, Lord. I will love You, even when I don't understand. I choose You."


"Where,O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?...But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
I Corinthians 15:55,57

1 comment:

Rosalinda said...

Dear Lisa,
It's so true... we aren't given the right to know the answers to our "Why" questions. I love your gentle yet strong faith, though. That is the path we all need to take. You continue to be an inspiration to me! And I continue to pray for you...
Love,
Rosalinda