Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Glass Half Full

Yesterday, the appointment started out hard. Usually the first thing they do is take blood for tests, then I see the doctor, then I get my treatment. That means two needle sticks. SO...I thought...why not just get the I.V. and they can draw the blood for the lab from the I.V., so I'll have one stick instead of two. Good idea. I did it last month...and it went well. I was so proud of my idea. :-)

But yesterday... it did not work. I went in to get the I.V. and the nurse (who I really like and totally trust her abilities) had a very hard time finding a vein to use.

Veins are tricky. They actually have a mind of their own. They try to dodge needles, roll over, run away...very independent body parts. She tried twice and the veins "blew"...which, is a horrible way to say the vein broke and leaked internally. So they sent me back to the lab. (The lab doesn't start I.V.s, so they can get the blood easier. The I.V. has to thread deeper into the vein.) Okay...now I'm up to 3 sticks.

Next, saw the doctor. She said things looked good...I was staying on course well. I will have one more treatment in April, then I'll have scans in May to see how these are working.

Then, went back to the chemo room to try to start the I.V. again. She had another unsuccessful try on the top of my hand. Finally, on try #4, she got the I.V. in. I got the Zometa, took about 30 minutes. Then I got the 2 shots of Faslodex.

All together...7 sticks.

By the time I left the doctor's office...I was...hmmmm...VERY happy to see the out of doors.

My friend and I were driving to get lunch and then... I got a call on my cell phone.

"Mrs. Carr?"
"Yes."
"This is Julie. We got your tumor marker test results back already. Last month your number was 37, with 31 as normal. You've gone down to 32!" WOW...that is great news, really great news!!! I was SO glad to hear the progress in the healing department.

When I got home, I analyzed the day. In John 10:10 it says that Satan's job is to "steal, kill and destroy". I thought...you know...he totally wanted to take away the joy of the day, which was the improved test results. The morning needle troubles were hard and certainly discouraging BUT the highlight of the day was the improved tumor marker results.

I do not want to look at yesterday and remember that it was a hard lab day. I choose to remember that yesterday I found out GREAT news...my tumor marker test was almost normal. THAT is the summary of the day. Satan would like for me to stay focused on the negative...then would he would be victorious at "stealing" my joy.

I will not give him any victory.


Psalm 71:14,15
But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of Your righteousness, of Your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.


O God Most High,
You are so good. When the things around me look difficult, I will look to You...for You are faithful to walk with me through anything and everything. I am, by nature, a glass half empty person...but by Your Spirit, you fill me up with hope and peace, so that I see the glass half full. Not by my own nature, but by Your Spirit living in me. All praise to You. I love You. I trust You. I thank You, O God.
In Jesus', Amen.

10 comments:

Rackley Family Adventures said...

Lisa~
I'm thankful that your hard day turned into a time for rejoicing. What a blessing that God sees when we're discouraged & gives us enough to keep us going! Praying that the cancer is being destroyed, but you will be left stronger than ever!

amhmom said...

Yea! I love the good news! And I also love you sharing your journey of making the choice to look for the good in the day instead of focusing on what was difficult. I needed that reminder! Thank you! Love you!

Sheila H.

shirley said...

Lisa, I was a sick child growing up, until recently I never knew a good way to take a needle. A nurse told me instead of gasp & hold my breath, to breath while the needle goes in & it opens the veins. It worked for me. Not sure, if it just a good nurse or not. I will try it again down the rode. I am so glad you had great test results. Still praying for you. So glad you share with us. It is so uplifting for us to. I'm still in my heart, holding your hand as Jesus does. God Bless. Shirley

Debbie said...

Lisa, Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Praise God for the good news you have received! Your desire to glorify our Father, even through moments of discouragement, is so refreshing to me. I'm praying that God will grant complete healing to your body and that He will continue to bring you peace as you travel this road.

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you good news for the tumor marker!! And that was BEFORE the treatment had taken effect so this time next month I'm believing it will be even lower!!

What a blessing you are getting such good care. It means so much to have confidence in the doctor and staff working with you!! What a rich, rich blessing.

So sorry about all the needle sticks! Ugh! I have a few stories of my own kind of like that. I get annoyed when that stuff happens, but you are right to blame it on Satan trying to steal your joy! Bless you you, sweet sister!

Bob and Diane said...

Glory to God for the wonderful report Lisa! I've always known you as a "Glass Half Full" kind of girl!

Love You So!

Diane

Michele Pullara Allen said...

Praise the Lord for GREAT NEWS! Your numbers going down like this is BIG, really, really BIG---TAKE THAT SATAN!!! IN JESUS NAME! Can I get an AMEN!!! Love you, Sister!

James said...

Thanks for taking time to share your journey with all of us. And what wonderful news! I will continue to lift up your name in prayer.

Joy Miller said...

Lisa,
Thank you for letting God use you to show us how to recognize Satan at work and to see blessings. Wow! I am so thankful for your good news! God is good all the time!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I continue to pray for your total healing and rejoice at the tumor marker decrease. God give you health, strength, peace.
Arlene Morris