Monday, January 9, 2012

Dear Arm Holders...

It's been a month since my last blog. The month of December is SO busy and I just didn't sit down and write. So, let me try to catch up.

During the month of December my lower back and right hip started hurting. The pain had slowly increased week by week until finally I went to see my family doctor last Wednesday and he took x-rays of my back. He didn't see any lesions on the bones but did notice that my rib was exactly the same as it was in October when he first diagnosed it as fractured. No healing. Hmmm. I started thinking about it and I think maybe the fact that the rib has not healed may have something to do with the med Zometa that I have been on for one year.

Today I am going in to see my oncologist. This was my monthly appointment to get treatment, but I called and requested to see my doctor before the treatment. I am scheduled to get Zometa, the bone strengthener, which I have not had since Oct. (the treatment that messed up my right wrist with tendinitis) and also to get Faslodex, the estrogen blocker. I want to talk to her about both of these meds. I'd like to get off of Zometa. It seems that the way it works actually stops normal regrowth of bone and that may be why my rib is not healing. And the Faslodex...well, they are shots...big deal shots...take almost 2 minutes to push. It hurts...bruises, nerves touched, etc. I want off of it. They have pills that are estrogen blockers and I want to go back to those.

So TODAY at 1 pm Tom and I are going to talk to her about the pain in my back and hip, all these changes in the meds, and to discuss the unhealed broken rib. Please pray for this visit...for our conversation to be covered by the Lord, for His wisdom and discernment to prevail about what to do next.

Quite honestly...I am tired. Tired of doctor's appointments. Tired of hurting. Tired of meds. Tired of all of it. But I also know that I can't get tired. Fighting means staying vigilant and focused. So...the truth is I do need your support and prayers.

There's a story in the Old Testament, in Exodus 17:8-13, when the Israelites were leaving Egypt and had a battle with the Amalekites. Joshua was the general on the ground, fighting the battle...but Moses' role was to hold up his hands to heaven. When his hand was up, they would be winning. When his hand was down, they'd start losing ground. There was a problem.

"But Moses' hands grew weary; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat upon it, and Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; so his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. And Joshua mowed down the Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword."

They won.

Okay...the picture here is when we, the children of God, grow weary, we need help. I am not saying I'm like Moses...such a great figure in the Scriptures. I am saying we are all like Moses at some time in our lives. This story shows in a literal way how we all need support when we grow weary. We need someone else to come help us, to hold up our hands and to tell us to sit down on the rock.

So...one more time...I'm asking for prayers.
For my hands to be held up to heaven.
For a nice rock to sit down on so I can watch the victory with my own eyes.


O God,
Thank You for all the past victories You have given to me. I am so grateful. I praise You this morning and give you all the glory. I do not want to be quick to forget how You have rescued me time and time again. Thank You! But I do want to remind You that I continue to stand in need before Your holy throne. Here I am, Your child. Come. Take away this pain. Restore my strength and my mind and my heart. You alone are able to do this...and so I come to You. I trust You Lord with today and forever.
Your daughter,
Lisa


P.S. My right wrist where the tendinitis was found is slowly improving. THAT is a wonderful thing! Praise God!

6 comments:

Rosalinda said...

Sweet Lisa, I will be praying for wisdom for your doctor, and for all of you to find solutions that will work to get you healthy and pain-free! I love you so much, my friend, and wish I could volunteer to bear some of that pain for you...
*HUGS*
~Rosalinda

Carol Boyd said...

Lisa - I will pray that God will renew your fighting spirit - and give you strength through these trials. I know you must grow weary of the ongoing battle. I understand. But... many are here praying for you and lifting you up to help you in this wearying battle. Let's get that rib healed!!

Kim said...

I am lifting you up today, sweet friend! I am praying right now that his spirit and wisdom will fill you and your doctors right now. Right. Now.

Shirley said...

Dear sweet Lisa,child of God. I'll help hold your arms up high to our Dear father. He will restore your health & strength through him. I really wish I could take your pain for you. I know you need a brake. I am so happy, you have a christian man to be by your side. To bad we have so many miles between us. I'll keep you in my prayers, always. Love, & Hugs. God Bless. Baird

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa, while I didn't know to pray specifically for your appt today, I have been praying often for your wrist and whole body just as you requested last month. I loved the Scripture you shared here and I would like to share a similar one that encourages me. It is 1 Sam 23:16 (and 17a) that shows that even the mighty David (who had trusted God to help him defeat Goliath among other victories), a man greatly beloved by God, a man after God's own heart, needed encouragement. When David was in Horesh he learned that Saul had come out to take his life and then the Scripture says this: "And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in the Lord. 'Don't be afraid,' he said."

Wow~! Even David(!!) needed support from others. It may sound silly, but that was a real eye-opener to me the first time I read that.

Love you!! Oh and I know what you mean about feeling tired of all the docs, meds, appointments, health concerns, and so forth. As you know, it has been that kind of a year and a half for me, too, and it DOES wear you out. I will pray for your emotional strength in that regard. Thank you for reminding me that I need to be praying that for you. *hugs*

Julie

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I just found your blog today. You are such an inspiration. Your postings are an inspiration and it is so reflective of how God works. I am praying for you dear friend.

Love Wendy