Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rest

Saw my doctor Monday.  She quickly assessed that I did not need to get chemo yet, but needed to rest for two more weeks.  She said that the liver procedure/surgery "was a big, big deal".  When she told me some people who undergo that procedure stay a couple of weeks in the hospital, I was shocked!  I guess I've been thinking that I should have rebounded in 3 or 4 days, and when it wasn't happening, I felt discouraged.  She reminded me that anytime you are under anesthesia, having your body worked on, and in this case, an organ, it is very hard for your body to recover.

That helped me a lot! Took some kind of imaginary timetable out of my mind.  I think the hospital folks said I would just need some pain meds for 2 or 3 days and then I'd be fine.  But...I haven't.  Over the weekend, I had fever and acheyness. After I saw my doctor,  I felt better just knowing I wasn't "behind" in recovering.  I was really dreading the chemo treatment because I just didn't feel well.  I know how hard it hits my body when I get it.  But, she cancelled the treatment, so that was good too.  My prayer before I went in was to ask the Lord to speak through my doctor...that her decision was His decision.  I didn't know what would happen...chemo or no chemo.  And I told her my fears of delaying the chemo again, and that maybe we shouldn't have done the liver procedure.  She said "no, no, no...the liver procedure WAS the right decision and now you have to heal and get your strength back.  We're on the right track."  I am trusting my prayer was answered.  That God gave her wisdom to assess my body.  And she said "Rest".  That does sound like God. It's something He says often to all of us.

So, now I'm trying to take it slow.  I did a little better today, but had a low grade fever again last night.  Just going to take each day slowly.

Please pray for my emotions to regain hope and strength, please pray for my body to heal.  And, always, always...please pray for my precious family...each one of them: Tom, Jesse, Betsy, Jamie and Mary.  This is as hard on them to go through as it is me, I believe.  It requires lots of caregiving and support, while they continue to lead their daily lives.  The struggle of emotions are tucked away so they can be strong for the moment and for me.  They are amazing!

God,
Thank You for answering my specific prayer on Monday.  You know that I am so grateful for my doctor.  She is Yours and hears Your voice.  I am trusting You, oh God, that this rest is the written prescription from Your hand.  Please strengthen all of my precious family with the breath of Your loving Spirit and Your strength.  It is all we need.  We love you, oh God.  Today belongs to You. I give You praise this day and always.
Your daughter,
Lisa

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Please throw out all timetables and thoughts on where you "should" be! You are such a sweet and faithful daughter of God and He is protecting you!!! When you feel tired it is your body telling you to slow it down even if your down is quite slow already!! Love you Lis

Carissa said...

Hope you are feeling well and resting peacefully today Lisa. I will pray for you tonight! I don't know how well you will be feeling a few weeks from now on Homecoming weekend, but I hope to get to see you then!