Saturday, November 25, 2006

Week of Thanksgiving

Last week was such an incredible week. The Lord has been so merciful to me. The main symptoms that I felt were fatigue and a little nausea. I expected Wednesday or Thursday to be out of it, but it never hit that hard. I was very tired on Wed and Thurs, but by Friday I was getting around again. I'm so thankful to the Lord God for holding me up!

Tuesday was historical because it was the first day I wore my wig out in public. Tommy and I went to Mary's school Thanksgiving luncheon. It was fine...easier than I thought it would be. The hair loss is definitely going to be a slow adjustment...but the Lord has helped me with all these other steps, I know He'll walk me through this.

Last Wednesday I had to go back in to get a shot to boost my white blood cells. I guess they will do that everytime I have a treatment. The first time I had that shot it was horrible...there was a burning sensation as the drug went in. Well...I went in thinking that it was going to go in my port, which I thought would make it easier. I got there and they said they don't use the port, they need to put it in under the skin. I left the room, went to the restroom, called Tommy and asked for him to pray about the shot. So he and Mary did. They went to a corner of Barnes and Noble (they had dropped me off at the office because we didn't really want Mary to go in) and prayed for me while I was going back in to the lab area. I sat down, braced myself and the nurse gave me the shot. I couldn't believe it... it did not hurt. It did not burn. I barely felt it. Wow. I couldn't believe it. Nothing like the first time. Yeah God!!!

On Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, we had the nicest day. We just hung out quietly. I hung out VERY quietly, as I was sleeping on and off throughout the day. :-) Tom worked in the yard, while smoking a turkey breast in our cooker. Jamie helped Tommy and did some school. Mary was the Queen of Thanksgiving . She made stuffing, sweet potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce and rolls. I think the only things she didn't make were the turkey and the corn. Amazing! Not many 11 year olds can say they made Thanksgiving dinner. When they called me to the table, everything was there...just beautiful! Candles lit, smoked turkey and plenty of extras. Tears came to my eyes...it was truly a beautiful table. We all think it was one of the most special Thanksgiving meals we've ever had.

I am thankful...SO thankful. To be blessed with a precious family. To have so many dear friends. To have so many people praying for me. To know that each day when I wake up the mercies of the Lord are fresh and new for that day. I'm thankful for Jesus, who is the hope and joy that we all can build each day of our lives around.

What a great Thanksgiving week.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Ok, that brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful post, Lisa! Thinking about you and praying for you often!! Thanks for the updates.

Lisa said...

You've got me crying now too! I'm not surprised to hear how everyone helped out, but it's touching nonetheless. What a sweet family you have!

Still praying. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you are still in my prayers. I'm so grateful to the Lord for giving you such a wonderful family.

Rosalinda

Anonymous said...

Lisa-friend,
Just want you to know I pray for you every day, many times. How, I wish I could be there to hold your hand when you had that shot, but how wonderful you have a family that will stop and pray for you right when you need it! I know you have such a wonderful family and great friends, there, but I am jealous of their time with you!
Love always and every day

kristen said...

Glad to read it, Aunt Lisa. You do the Carr family bloggers proud. Our family's praying for you. Love much.