Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Faith

Way too much time has gone by since I've written last. Let me try to catch up.

We went to Dallas for the Medical Mission Conference. What a blessing that was to be with so many people who care about world missions and are either full time missionaries or people who use their vacation time to share their gifts in poor countries that have a great need. The conference went well, which was an answer to prayer. We were so grateful for the Lord blessing the whole weekend.

Ever since I found out my good news I've been telling my story to whoever stops long enough to listen. The main point that I say is that I believe the Lord healed me, from the time I heard the diagnosis in November to when I heard the great news on Dec. 28th that there was no cancer. Sometimes I give the 5 minute version, sometimes I give the full-length version which takes about an hour or so. As I start to tell the story I can see on people's faces how they are receiving the news. Some people listen politely and speak words of thankfulness for the good news, but I can sense their uncertainty about my perspective. They usually say "well...what WAS it?" (if it wasn't cancer). I say "I don't know." And I don't really know. The CT scan for the needle biopsy was not recorded on a film/CD...it is done live...so I don't know what they saw when they did the biopsy. I will see my doctor in 2 weeks. She may want another test done, I don't know. What I DO know is that the biopsy came back and they said the samples they extracted were bone fragments and blood. "No atypical cells present." Bones and blood. That's a good thing. :-)

Another response is that maybe the original radiology report was totally off. False report. I think that's possible. But I don't know that. What I DO know is that my doctor looked me in the eye and said the report says you have metastatic bone cancer, Stage 4. That was the report until it changed 5 weeks later.

Another response is total acceptance and dancing joy! They are just happy for me and rejoicing with me, without hesitation, without questions.

The more that I tell the story to people, whether they are close friends or strangers, the more I realize everybody has to decide what they believe as they listen to me tell my version of it. I thought about all the healings in the Bible and how the healed person would go home and tell the whole town what had happened to them. Then the listeners had to decide "is it true?" or "I need more information" or "who is this Jesus?" They had to decide themselves what they would believe.

A couple of days ago I walked into the kitchen and Tom and Mary were looking out our picture window, looking down on the ground. A bird had flown into the window and crashed and was on the ground. That happens more than we want at that window. We've seen some recover and some die. SO...I walked in and Mary was crying. She told me what had happened and she was sad because neither one of them thought the bird was going to make it. They watched it try to fly but it couldn't get off the ground. It was alive but not moving. I went over to Mary and hugged her and said "Let's just pray about this bird." She agreed. So I prayed "Lord, this bird needs healing. You made it. You created this precious creature. He can't sing your praises if he dies. Please, restore his strength so he could get back to singing praises to You, O God. Please heal him. In Jesus Name."

We looked down at the small bird. He started turning his head, looking around. Then, all of a sudden, he flew! He was gone! Mary and I looked at each other and started laughing...then gave each other a high five! :-) We thanked God for healing the bird! I know that bird is singing again, singing praises to the Creator of All.

Later I thought about that event. When the bird flew, we had to decide right then and there...WHY did the bird fly? Was it because we had prayed or was it because he was going to fly anyway? We decided to believe that God had indeed done just what we asked him to do...and the bird was healed. And then we thanked Him.

I've decided that this whole faith thing requires stepping out into a status of foolishness or wackiness.

Hey...I want to be foolish for Jesus. Go ahead and call me wacky. I'm there. I'd rather live in a world walking with Him then wondering if He's real. I do not wonder. I do not wonder. The more you step toward believing, the more the coincidences are just not coincidences anymore. They are Him, moving and working and orchestrating life. He is alive and active...and I am living proof of that. I KNOW and believe this truth...He healed me.

Thank You, O God, my Friend and Healer and Savior!

2 Corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."
Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."


"Jesus Freak" lyrics (D.C.Talk)

What would people say if they knew I was a Jesus freak?
What would people do if they found out it's true?
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak
There ain't no denying the truth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew 17:20
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

lisacarol said...

Thank you anonymous. That's it.

Vaths said...

Lisa (and Tom),

Can't thank you guys enough for praying for/with us in Dallas. It meant so much to us. Before we started on this "journey," I always heard missionaries say that "we need your prayers more than we need your money" and used to think it was just their clever way of making it sound like they weren't that concerned about money in a type of "reverse psychology" to get people to give more. Boy, was I ignorant. I feel like I'm now almost physically craving the prayers of people like you guys and I feel "hungry" even when a big financial gift is given without a prayerful heart. Anyway, I know that sounds kinda weird but I just want to thank you guys for allowing God to "fill us back up" with your encouragement and prayers for us.

Anonymous said...

Well, I join you in your "wackiness!" I am so thrilled that God has chosen to heal you, and that your faith allows you to see that as a miracle, and not some coincidence or mistake. It's so amazing!! And just in case I haven't said it in a while -- I love you!