Monday, June 11, 2012

A Birthday, Wedding and Picnic

About two weeks ago was Memorial Day Weekend and there was a lot going on at our house! The Wednesday before that weekend I celebrated my 55th birthday.  Hooray!!!  That day some dear girlfriends took me out to lunch and we had a lovely time together.  Then that night Tom and I, plus Mary and a friend, all went to Little Rock for a one night getaway.  We had dinner at a nice place called YaYa's and then did some shopping. (Yes, Tom is a WONDERFUL husband to take three girls out to shop!)  We spent the night in LR,  then came back the next day.  I also had lots of cards and a fun package in the mail from my sisters, another package from my parents, plus a few long distance calls that were all special.  Great birthday!

Then the weekend rolled around.  It was time to celebrate a wedding!  Our sweet friend, Kari,  who had been living with us for a few months, was getting married that Saturday night.  We've had the joy of watching the wedding plans unfold day by day.  Then, finally, the day came! Our two older children came to town for the wedding, so that was SO wonderful having them around for the weekend. Plus, lots of Kari's friends are our friends as well, and lots of them had traveled a long way to be a part of the wedding. It felt sort of like a reunion.  We were very happy to get to see so many precious friends. The wedding was a beautiful occasion...very joy-filled and God centered.  Great wedding!

The day before the wedding we attended a Memorial Day picnic at the senior facility that my mother-in-law lives at here in Searcy.  She has been so weak over the past few weeks (since her fall in March) that we were not sure that she would be able to get outside for this traditional family time at Harding Place.  But she did make it, and our whole family was there to celebrate with her.  Great picnic!

Finally, all the festivities were over and the day after Memorial Day, that Tuesday, I went in for my 4th treatment. Nothing eventful, just went straight to the chemo room and sat down.  The treatment went fine. A couple of days later I started feeling the nausea and some pain.  But by Friday afternoon, the yukky symptoms had lifted and I was able to go out that evening with some friends and actually have a nice supper in Little Rock. Yay God!  The following week was good...I felt stronger and better as each day passed.

And now...treatment time is back again.  It's Monday.  I had my "I don't want to go tomorrow" feelings last night.  It's the Sunday night syndrome.  But...in reality...I DO want to go because I am believing that the Lord is using this treatment to heal me.  I will see the doctor today and, hopefully, she will give me an idea of when we will do scans to "see" inside my body at the progress of the medicine.

Prayers for today?  That my visit with the doctor will be led by the Holy Spirit, every word and decision directed by God.  That the treatment will go well today.  That the post-treatment symptoms will not even come...nausea, pain and overall just feeling bad.  Most of all...that the medicines will do what we hope they are doing...to heal me of cancer.

My job?  To trust in God and walk with Him through the day, believing He has my life in His loving hands.  I do trust Him.  And I do believe His hands are loving and good.  I believe that He has allowed this to come to me, because "all things work for the good for those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose". (Romans 8:28)    I do love Him, with all my heart.  And so... I believe that whatever happens to me will be "for the good".

Oh God,
Thank You for this day...yes, even this day...when I know I have to sit down and get chemo in my veins and face this disease with a battle-mind, fighting with determination.  Thank You for this day...and every day that You give to me as a gift. I will rejoice in this day.  You have always been faithful to stay with me, to hold me up and give me strength minute by minute, hour by hour.  I cannot live without You, dear God.  Please bless each hour of this day, to Your glory.  And bless my family, always Lord, in the steps they are walking in today.  I love You.
Forever Yours,
Lisa

4 comments:

Marty Highfield said...

always share these with my mom. We always remember you in prayer.

Lori Young said...

Continually think and pray for you, Lisa. I wish we lived closer, would love to sit and talk like we used to at Forest Home. Those were sweet times for me....you all lifted us up so many times in prayer in our desire for children, and God was faithful. Now, I lift you up for healing, for peace, for joy in each day. He continues to be faithful. Blessings on your day, may he be glorified! Lori Young

James said...

I hope your day went well. I remember you in prayer also.

Anonymous said...

God is always with you, my dear sister. Happy Belated Birthday Lisa. May God cont. to direct your path. Love, & God Bless & I will cont. in prayer. Hugs, Baird