Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vandy Visit

Tom and I went to the my appointment at Vanderbilt Cancer Center on Thursday morning. First they had me go to the lab to draw blood, then I went in to see the doctor.

He was so kind and seemed glad to see us, and we were glad to see him again. He was looking at various reports from the doctors in Arkansas and we caught up on all the medical things that had happened over the past month. Last time I was there I was not walking. So...I got off the table and showed him that I could walk now...yay! (Thank You, God!) I told him I can't walk for long stretches of time or distances but that it is getting better.

Then we discussed my current lab reports. He decided I needed to get some fluids with potassium and to start the Zometa again (the bone strengthener that I took all through 2011.) He wanted me to get it done there so I could check the results on Monday in Little Rock.

He also said that he wanted another Petscan done, very soon, in the next couple of weeks. He wanted to see exactly what was happening and update the cancer info of my body. I was VERY glad to hear this because I was concerned that if I did have to start another chemo treatment that it would have been started on information that we saw back in January! I will have the Petscan done in Arkansas and then have one more Zometa treatment (they are monthly) and then go back to see him. I'll see him in one month.

I went down to their transfusion clinic and got set up for treatment. The nurse said something about 3 hours and I said "What?" The fluids/potassium was a 3 hour process and the Zometa was 15 minutes. I was surprised I guess because I knew the Zometa was short so I thought the other would be too. (It takes me awhile to shift my brain from what I THINK is going to happen to what is the new information. Just a personality quirk.) :-) Anyway...I shifted gears and sat down and began the treatment. The I.V. went into the top of my hand and we were in business. Tom went to get lunch and to wander around Nashville a little, which is what he needed to do after being there already for almost 4 hours. My sister Diane came and sat with me through the treatment, which was great.

I finished around 4 pm, Tom was back and we said goodbye to Diane. Then we drove over to Jesse's house and said goodbye to him. We left Green Hills around 5 and got home at 11 !!! (Tom was the only driver and he did a great job.) SO,SO,SO glad to get home. It had been a long day.

We thought the doctor in TN was going to probably start chemo or something similar. But...when we were analyzing everything, we both felt good about the appointment. We've all been praying for the Lord to lead the way, to bless the doctor with wisdom and to trust Him with all of it....so now, we have the choice about how to respond. I want to respond with trusting God with all that happened Thursday. Not second guess...but walk in trust. God is moving things, scheduling appointments, leading me forward in this battle. My job is to keep my eyes on Him and to trust Him.

I am especially REALLY thankful that there is another scan! (I think I already said that.) :-) The way I see the month ahead is that we have LOTS of opportunities to pray and to see God move! Each appointment is a battle moment. SO... that's what I'm asking from you again.

The first one is this Monday (tomorrow). My calcium and some other numbers need to get to a more normal status. Please pray for this first battle...for GREAT lab results. We've seen God do it before, just asking and praying for His hand to move again.

Oh God,
Thank You for being with us last Thursday and for the appointment going well. I don't really know what's ahead...still. Why do I think that I will ever get a message from You that tells me exactly what is coming...tomorrow, much less in the next week or year? You've told me "Don't be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow is anxious for itself. Today's troubles are enough for today. Seek my Kingdom first and all these things will be added to you." Seek Your Kingdom? That means to look to You and for You and at You. I thank You for this day, Sunday March 18th. I trust You with all my todays and all my tomorrows. I love You always.
With much love forever,
Your child, Lisa




3 comments:

Marty Highfield said...

We are thankful for the updates. So glad that Nashville is a drive away. Blessings in the new day that the Lord has made for us. I'm watching out my office window at his sunrise. -Marty

shirley said...

Today is a beautiful day here in Ind. I have been doing alot of packing. I rent a U-Haul for my first trip back to Mi.. I'm getting some stuff sent back to Mi., during Easter vacation. I am getting ready to paint the inside of the house, to put it on the market, to sell soon. I am keeping you in my prayers Lisa. I'm praying for a Awesome day for you too, with great test results. Love you sister. Hang in there. Hugs, Baird

dawnntn said...

So glad to read your post and learn the visit went well. We will keep up the prayers. Love you.