Wednesday, May 16, 2007

First Radiation Treatment

Monday I went to see my chemo doctor. She was checking on how I did with my 8th treatment. The visit went well...Betsy came with me, which was so nice. Dr. Wilder said that she wants me to come back to see her in 7 weeks, after I've finished radiation. There are some more things to do with her, but she wants to wait until that is done...which is fine with me. I really like taking one thing at a time, instead of juggling different treatments at the same time.

Tuesday Betsy came with me again but this time we didn't have to drive to Little Rock. My radiation treatment is in Searcy, just a 5 minute drive from our home. That is WONDERFUL considering I go every day, Monday through Friday. This first day was extra long because they had to take special X-rays and measurements and markings to make sure they are getting exactly the right area and angle. It is a very precise thing...moving my head or shifting my body so that it is exactly lined up. After I was all lined up I had my first radiation dosage. You can't "feel" anything, anymore than you feel an X-ray at the dentist's office. I have to not move AT ALL, which is slightly uncomfortable for long periods. I kind of "freeze". The only thing that I can move is opening and closing my eyes. So I look around some, but mostly just close my eyes and either pray, sing hymns or recite Scripture in my mind. It helps me stay calm and stay still.

Today Tom went with me for my second treatment. Today was much shorter because there was no measuring to do. I have marks all over my neck and chest. They use laser and light to line me up and then go right on with the treatment. My visits now will only be about 20 minutes total. Tom got to go in the "cockpit" area with the technicians and monitors this time so he could see what they were doing. We also met with a social worker that told us all these nice extras that they offer: massages once a week for Tommy and me, nutritional counseling, regular counseling, a 10-week exercise program at a local health club for me, retreats, etc. They were very kind and helpful.

I have some specific prayer requests for all this. I'm concerned about my left arm. Sometimes radiation causes an arm that has had lymph nodes removed (which I did) to get something called lymphedema...a chronic swelling problem. Please pray that this won't happen with me. Also, just that the radiation will target the cancer but not damage my lungs, heart, throat (& voice), etc. since it will be administered in the areas of all those things. Also, that I won't have problems with skin burning or other side effects. This all sounds so specific, but they are concerns that I have and I am sharing my heart with you all. Thank you for listening.

And thank you for your faithful prayers. It will soon be 7 months since my diagnosis. Praise God for how far He has carried me! And Praise to His Name for all the intercessors that have prayed on my behalf. I can't believe how many people are praying. I am so, so grateful!!! Thank you so much.

I feel like I am starting a new phase, so I am trying to boost my emotional stamina to keep going. I have learned the best encouragement to my heart is the Word of God... just reading the Bible. It has always been an important part of my life and a source of wisdom and truth. But now I've found how much strength there is and power in the Word. The word I want to use to describe it is "magical"...which is a secular,worldly word. I think we all picture reading the words and something all of a sudden starts to come to life. But really, it is not the right word at all...because magic is not of the Lord, and what happens when we read God's word is so much greater than the empty power of magic, which the Bible tells us to stay away from anyway. The Word of God is alive! And it does "come to life", showing up in my life hour by hour. It is Him, the Living Word, walking me through this journey. I'm trying to memorize Scripture, which I haven't done in years, so that I can keep it ready, like food, when I need it.

That's all for today. THIS is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice in it.

Thank You, Holy God, for my great report last week, for Monday's appointment going well, and for being with me with this new phase. I praise You and thank You for Your love and faithfulness. In the Name Above All Names, Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get your massages!! :o)

I am praying for you constantly, my friend. You are fighting so hard and leaning on God. I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I just read about you PET scan. PRAISE GOD! He is so awesome. I'm going to take your specific prayer requests with me Sunday. I will offer them up to my church family. We will pray for you. Love Your friend, Pam H from Tennessee.